問個問題,這裡有四十三個圖檔,
編成一本應該超過四十頁吧.
是每間學校都全用,
還是會依照判斷做不同的作品集出去呢?
Balagan

文章 Balagan »

jelly 寫:是每間學校都全用,
還是會依照判斷做不同的作品集出去呢?
是的,大約43頁左右,每間學校的都一樣...只有封面依申請的學校學位有更改而已...
因為要一本一本依照學校風格去調整很累
除非你一開始就只打算丟三間以下
或個人風格很鮮明 可以鎖定某幾間學校

基本上有限制頁數的學校我是沒丟 但是聽說也有人不管這個規定 照丟,照上
所以學校如果真的喜歡你的作品集 他們還是會採用的 沒人會無聊到真的去算頁數 :o
Balagan

文章 Balagan »

my_ways 寫: 不知道你的SOP怎嚜寫
可以也PO上來分享嗎?
其實SOP來講 我覺得重點有:
1.點出自己的特性(能力,背景,個性) 尤其是你跟數百個其他申請人不同的獨到之處
2.學校吸引你的地方
3.你自認為能為學校的討論帶來什麼貢獻
4.工作(或求學)期間所獲得的成長,經歷
5.表現出自己對未來的企圖心

每間學校要求的內容會有所不同 建議研究一下 針對這些要求去寫
我基本上內容是大同小異 但是會針對學校去些改一些段落
你喜歡那個學校哪些課程或方向 自己想往哪些方向發展及研究
甚至更深入敘述學校哪些課程或資源是有助於自己往這些方面發展

比方說Harvard MArch II 跟 MaUD的SOP內容比起來
MaUD的我就有比較著重於都市方面的議題跟興趣去描寫

甚至按照學校的要求去安排回答問題的前後順序 比方說AA DRL
分段,標題都照他們申請書的要求 但是內容也是類似

所以最簡單的方式就是在看完所有要申請的學校要求之後
針對裡頭的問題先寫一個攏統(general)的SOP 一個主題一個段落 這樣在調整時會比較容易
再依各校要求去調整前後順序,刪減

在這裡我就提供Harvard GSD跟AA DRL的SOP給大家參考,希望對於往後的申請者會有所助益...

最後提醒一點 最近幾年這些學校會把SOP用軟體scan過
那種網路上copy的啦 甚至找代辦寫的那種有版型的SOP都會被抓出來
所以強烈建議大家不要偷懶 好好自己寫 自認為英文不夠好的 請找專業翻譯

Harvard MArch II SOP
<hr>

Statement of Purpose

To me, Architecture has always been a synthesis of possibilities, where all factors combine and merge to form an entity of breathtaking complexity. We spend over 80% of our lives in man-made environments, thus it only makes common sense that we take great care when creating it. I wish to be part of that force which creates our every-day environment, not only through professional practice but also in educating the next generation of designers, which is why I would like to pursue a degree at Harvard GSD.

I was born in Taiwan and moved to the United States as a baby, spending much of my childhood moving between various cities (as can be seen from my CV) due to my father’s work and pursuit of a PhD degree. Returning to Taiwan for middle and high school education, I entered the Industrial Engineering Department of Feng Chia University, and later transferred to the Department of Architecture due to my interest in space making.

During my education, I was fortunate enough to have studio professors from Tokyo University, Pratt, University of Michigan, Architectural Association, and Harvard, leading to a diverse range of learning experiences and methodology. Design workshops with USC, UCL Bartlett, Hong Kong University, and Tongji University of Shanghai have also increased my exposure to educational methods from abroad. I have also traditionally excelled in most of my design studios, and my graduation design was awarded for outstanding academic achievement.

I am strongly interested in the process of architectural design, the factors and the methodology one explores and develops to arrive at a certain proposal. As can be seen from my portfolio, I try to explore different avenues of research and methodology with each project, and alternate methods of data representation models that can be used to inform design decisions. Additionally, I am interested in how emergent technologies will impact and redefine people’s lifestyles, and by extension the architecture we use and live in. Personally, I always search for different, unique, and exciting solutions to the design problems presented to me during my education and practical experience.

After transferring to the architectural department, I found part-time work interning at Archi-Man Associates, also working through the summers to gain knowledge and experience of the profession. My first real job was as full-time intern working for my thesis design advisor at Z-Work Design Associates, where I acquired all the basic skills to survive in the professional environment. As a high-profile design firm frequently featured in major Taiwanese publications, I had the opportunity to participate in several unique projects such as an installation exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art Taipei, developing and executing under high-pressure situations and extreme time constraints.

However, my later employment as a research assistant to Cheng-Ping Hsu, a MaUD graduate of Harvard, would confirm my desire to seek a post-graduate education at Harvard. I worked on several government-funded urban-scale planning projects in which I learned much about how factors such as culture, industry, and transportation affect and shape the built environment. I admired the way in which Cheng-Ping could identify the core issues of a design and lay down guidelines for me to develop and work with; I learned a great deal during my time working with him.

In 2004, a senior graduate of the Feng-Chia Architectural Department approached me about setting up a joint design studio in Taipei. Jumping at the opportunity to strike out on our own, I instantly agreed. Although initially small with only 4 employees, through this venture I gained a complete perspective of the profession, from client relations through to design, costing, contractors, and job site coordination/supervision. The majority of private-sector projects in Taiwan are design+build contracts; therefore I accumulated a substantial amount of practical knowledge about the building industries due to daily job-site visits and contractor negotiations. I have also had to solve and develop workarounds to various problems with building codes, equipment, and fabrication techniques; I believe this broad range of practical experience will contribute to my learning of architecture in general and give me a wider range of abilities.

I have an active interest and participation in the design community, working as translator for Dialogue Magazine, a prominent architectural publication in Taiwan. This enables me to keep in touch with current trends in design, while at the same time contributing to the community. Also notable is my involvement with forgemind.net, the largest architectural design/theory discussion and news website in Taiwan. As part of the site administration staff, I have participated in the planning and setup of numerous architectural events and conferences, with the aim of forwarding architectural discourse here in Taiwan. These activities have showed me the energy that can be produced when creative individuals are gathered, and how much we can benefit when learning from each other.

I have traveled extensively in Europe and Japan, and attended the 2000 World Expo in Hannover and the 2005 World Expo in Aichi. These travels have lent me perspective on the architectural differences of these countries: how different cultural tendencies can lend to different design philosophies, and affect the overall tone of a country’s architecture and its urban environments. It is also through these travels that I have experienced in person the power of architecture that can move a person’s heart, a goal I aspire to achieve in the future.

My frequent travels and moving around since childhood has fostered an independent, can-do attitude and an ability to be highly adaptive to various situations. Through the process of adaptation I am strengthening my resourcefulness as a designer and accumulating experiences to serve as future inspiration. I also believe that I perform to the limits of my capabilities when in a competitive environment, which is why I wish for the opportunity to compete with the best at Harvard GSD. With these strengths and the culturally diverse background I provide, I sincerely hope the admissions committee finds me suitable for this program.

AA DRL
<hr>
[這段是報名表上的標題]
This statement of not more than 1,000 words will be of major importance in the consideration of your application.
Continue on further pages if required.
i) Why a postgraduate education at the AA and what do you hope to gain from it?
ii) What are your present interests and directions?
iii) Comment upon the work you have accomplished since graduation?
iv) Comment on the Graduate School programmes offered, in particular the programme for which you are applying.

i)
To me, Architecture has always been a synthesis of possibilities, where all factors combine and merge to form an entity of breathtaking complexity. We spend over 80% of our lives in man-made environments, thus it only makes common sense that we take great care when creating it, which is why I would like to pursue a degree at the AA, more specifically the DRL program. During my education I have had the fortune to conduct one year of design studies under the guidance of AA Diploma graduate Tseng Wei, and having learned much in that time span I wish to further my studies at the same institution. Additionally, I hope to participate in projects possessing the scope and depth such as found in the book [negotiate my boundary].

ii)
I am very interested in the process of architectural and urban design, the factors and the methodology one explores and develops to arrive at a certain proposal. As can be seen from my portfolio, I try to explore different avenues of research and methodology with each project, and alternate methods of data representation models that can be used to inform design decisions. I like to approach a project from its broader social, economical, and technological contexts. Additionally, I am interested in how new technologies will impact and redefine people's lifestyles, and by extension the architecture we use and live in. I would like to investigate how these technologies have the potential to transform the urban landscape. I strongly believe that the structure of the DRL program will facilitate and support my research into these interests.

iii)
My first real job was as full-time intern working for my thesis design advisor at Z-Work Design Associates, where I acquired all the basic skills to survive in the professional environment. As a high-profile design firm frequently featured in major Taiwanese publications, I had the opportunity to participate in several unique projects such as an installation exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art Taipei, developing and executing under high-pressure situations and extreme time constraints.

However, my later employment as a research assistant to Cheng-Ping Hsu, a MaUD graduate of Harvard, would confirm my desire to seek a post-graduate education focusing on urban research. I worked on several government-funded urban-scale planning projects in which I learned much about how factors such as culture, industry, and transportation affect and shape the built environment, including a development masterplan for a traditional community in Kinmen, and a BOT commercial building/transportation node for MRT, light rail, and highway bus systems in Kaohsiung.

In 2004, a senior graduate of the Feng-Chia Architectural Department approached me about setting up a joint design studio in Taipei. Jumping at the opportunity to strike out on our own, I instantly agreed. Although initially small with only 4 employees, through this venture I gained a complete perspective of the profession, from client relations through to design, costing, contractors, and job site coordination/supervision. The majority of private-sector projects in Taiwan are design+build contracts; therefore I accumulated a substantial amount of practical knowledge about the building industries due to daily job-site visits and contractor negotiations. I have also had to solve and develop workarounds to various problems with building codes, equipment, and fabrication techniques; I believe this broad range of practical experience will contribute to my learning of architecture in general and give me a wider range of abilities.

iv)
The AA DRL program has many experiences to offer that interest me immensely. First of all, I am interested in the collective teamwork aspect of the coursework. I believe the future of design lies in collaboration between people of wildly varying background, the energy created through negotiation of clashing perspectives. Second of all, I am also interested in the utilization of data-models to inform design innovation. The DRL is known for its research into such information diagrams, and the process of transferring such data into a workable proposal.
Additionally, the program explores new concepts on adaptive urbanism and parametric design, also a great interest of mine as can be seen from my portfolio work. The diverse student body and numerous programs with differing focus (EmTech, H&ToA, H&U, L&U, etc…) all provide opportunities to learn from the environment and other participants’ work.

Additional Information:
I was born in Taiwan and moved to the United States as a baby, spending much of my childhood moving between various cities (as can be seen from my CV) due to my father’s work and pursue of a PhD degree. Returning to Taiwan for middle and high school education, I entered the Industrial Engineering Department of Feng Chia University, and later transferred to the Department of Architecture due to my interest in space making.

I have an active interest and participation in the design community, working as translator for Dialogue Magazine, a prominent architectural publication in Taiwan. This enables me to keep in touch with current trends in design, while at the same time contributing to the community. Also notable is my involvement with forgemind.net, the largest architectural design/theory discussion and news website in Taiwan. As part of the site administration staff, I have participated in the planning and setup of numerous architectural events and conferences, with the aim of forwarding architectural discourse here in Taiwan. These activities have showed me the energy that can be produced when creative individuals are gathered, and how much we can benefit when learning from each other.

My frequent travels and moving around since childhood has fostered an independent, can-do attitude and an ability to be highly adaptive to various situations. Through the process of adaptation I am strengthening my resourcefulness as a designer and accumulating experiences to serve as future inspiration. I also believe that I perform to the limits of my capabilities when in a competitive environment, which is why I wish for the opportunity to compete with the best at the AA. With these strengths and the culturally diverse background I provide, I sincerely hope the admissions committee finds me suitable for this program.
KFC

文章 KFC »

千呼萬喚使出來!!!
再次看到還是覺得很有全申請上的說服力 8) ~~
站長eaGer

文章 站長eaGer »

芭樂乾講到的這一點,其實是超級重點,為了避免有些人沒看到而發生意外,我特別再引言出來,請某些心存僥倖的朋友們要注意。
Balagan 寫:最後提醒一點 最近幾年這些學校會把SOP用軟體scan過
那種網路上copy的啦 甚至找代辦寫的那種有版型的SOP都會被抓出來
所以強烈建議大家不要偷懶 好好自己寫 自認為英文不夠好的 請找專業翻譯
芭樂乾曾經為某人翻譯過整本作品集,也曾經為 dialogue 雜誌將中文翻譯成英文,可見功力之深厚,要不是即將在夏天過後前往 Boston,芭樂乾絕對可以當個懂建築英文又好的高級專業翻譯,每翻一個字收十元新台幣,簡直賺翻了。

(其實你去美國後還是可以靠網路來賺,我幫忙收錢好了............. :P )
Balagan

文章 Balagan »

準建站長eaGer 寫:芭樂乾絕對可以當個懂建築英文又好的高級專業翻譯,每翻一個字收十元新台幣,簡直賺翻了。
(其實你去美國後還是可以靠網路來賺,我幫忙收錢好了............. :P )
去 最好是一字可以到10塊啦 嚇死人喔 比師大翻譯所的同步口譯還貴
最近其實都在翻中華民國景觀學會的...

我才不要那麼悲慘哩 去美國還要越洋接台灣的翻譯

搞不好美國的英翻中比較好賺 :lol: (說說而已啦 別當真)
vino

文章 vino »

Balagan 寫:搞不好美國的英翻中比較好賺 :lol: (說說而已啦 別當真)
這是肯定的. 因為懂英文的臺灣人多懂中文的美國人少
況且美國物價又比較貴

所以芭兄請不要偷懶我們一起幫忙收錢 :o
chillywilly

文章 chillywilly »

Balagan 寫: 搞不好美國的英翻中比較好賺 :lol: (說說而已啦 別當真)
Yes! I would love to be the first patron. Learning Chinese is so hard....haha...typing is impossible for me....
bigwhitelili

Re: 作品集觀摩:Balagan作品集

文章 bigwhitelili »

Balagan 寫:
作品集裡頭 挑了三個我自認為最好(或說最特別)的學校作品大三、四、五 各一個案子
想問一下芭樂乾大大,
這些作品是你後來再重新整理製作過,還是你大三以後就這麼厲害了??

另外,你總共花多少時間製作這麼精彩的作品集阿??
:D
回覆文章